Frequently Asked Questions

Q1.What types of courses are offered in the JCMU English program?

JCMU offers a variety of courses. The Intensive and Morning courses are comprehensive, full-time courses which provide 10-20 hours of coursework each week. These courses are similar to courses you would find at a language school in the United States. We also offer a range of other skill and theme-based classes available to part-time students who want to study in the day or evening.

Q2. When are classes offered at JCMU?

JCMU has a trimester system, with 12-week academic terms in the spring, fall and winter. Applicants are welcome to take classes in any of the three terms. We also offer a short-term (one or two-week) Summer Intensive course in late July and early August.

Q3. My impression is that students who are studying at JCMU intend to go on to American colleges and universities. However, I am interested in studying English to improve my overall communication skills. Are classes at JCMU useful for someone like me?

Yes, students here study for a variety of reasons and purposes. Although some students go on to American universities, most of our students take classes for non-academic purposes. Our classes are designed to meet the needs and interests of students of varying ages (high school – retirees) studying for a variety of reasons.

Q4. Can JCMU students transfer to colleges or universities in the U.S.?

Each year, several students who finish our program go abroad to study. Although students are not able to transfer directly to U.S. colleges or Universities, students who study at JCMU often find that their experience at JCMU helped prepare them for study in the United States.

Q5.If I study at JCMU, can I get help in applying to an American college or university?

We don’t act as a go-between for students and schools in the U.S., but we can help put you in contact with programs at Michigan’s 15 public universities. In our library, there are resources and information that will be useful in applying to American schools. JCMU English students also have the opportunity to speak with JCMU’s American students to learn more about universities and university life in the U.S. For students who need more assistance, we can suggest professional agencies that may be helpful.

Q6.I understand that there are American university students who are studying Japanese at JCMU. If I study in the JCMU English program, will there be opportunities to speak and interact with JCMU’s American students?

Yes, JCMU’s Japanese and American students have many opportunities to interact. One way that students can improve their oral English and make friends with American students at JCMU is through the “Conversation Partner” program. Students in the English program can be paired with an American student and have opportunities to learn more about each other and have extra language practice outside of class.

Q7. I’m concerned about my English level. My TOEIC score is () and I am concerned that I have to pass a test to be accepted to the JCMU program. Do I have to pass a test to be accepted?

People often misunderstand that the test is used as a decision to pass or fail applicants, but this is not the case. The placement test and interview is given to help us assess your English level. The test also helps us design class content and activities appropriate for students’ levels. In some cases, we may determine that a certain class may not be appropriate for you and we may suggest that you take another course.

Q8.I would like to know more about the JCMU instructors. Can you tell me more about the English instructors?

The instructors at JCMU are committed professional teachers, who have years of teaching experience and possesses Master’s Degrees. They stay abreast of current language teaching techniques by attending professional conferences, participating in workshops, and reading professional literature.

Q9. My home is far from Hikone. Is it possible to stay in the JCMU dormitory?

Students enrolled in one of the full-time programs (Intensive & Morning Courses) are eligible to stay in the dormitory. In most cases, you will have an American student as a roommate. Students not enrolled in the Intensive or Morning Course cannot live in the dormitory unless they take 10 hours of classes each week.